Friday, May 3, 2013

settings

I used to write in Palatino, 12 point, 1.5 spacing, 0.2" first-line indent. I used Microsoft Word 5.0 on a Mac Plus, then ClarisWorks on an SE/30, then AppleWorks on the Quadra.

Now I write in Georgia, 12 point, single spacing, 0.25" first-line indent. I use Pages, despite its hilarious lack of html conversion capability. If I'm unable to use my home computer, I write in some equivalent of Notepad or Wordpad, and use as many of the settings above as I can.

When I open a fresh document, I have to change the settings to match my preferred style, or I feel like I can't write. It's weird.

I also continually edit while I'm writing, which means sometimes when I write the last sentence, it's done; sometimes I go over the whole thing and find a paragraph or two I need to redo, or a few sentences that need to be tweaked. If it's not flowing, though, I'll often delete the entire scene or whatever I need to, to get back to where it was good and build from there.

I write on the couch in my living room, often with my dog snoring beside me, as I'm doing right now; I write until I'm aware that my thoughts are no longer coherent, and then I go to bed. Or I drink some more caffeine and power through it.

Tonight, though, I have to get to bed. Work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment